We'd all like to have a John Sheppard, wouldn't we? Someone we can count on to be there for us no matter what, someone who'd die for us if necessary. Well, good news! There is One.
( A True Story of Triumph )
So far, I went to a black-tie New Year's Eve ball, flew over 20 hours on a plane by myself to visit friends in Kenya, attended my very first SGA Con (something I NEVER thought I'd do), and signed up for online dating (the jury's still out on this one). And one of my fics, A Time to Heal, was nominated for the SG Awards. (A big thank you to whomever nominated me! I'm so honored!)
Today I walked to the grocery store. What's the big deal? you ask. Nothing, really. I'd just never done it before. We like our vehicles in my part of the world. Public transportation is almost nonexistent here in the suburbs. No one walks if they can help it. Almost everyone in Kenya does. It was...bizarre to see people streaming down both sides of the road just because that's how they get from Point A to Point B. So, today I walked to the store.
What did you do today?
How will you know me? you say...
( Me )
So, who else is coming? Let me know so I can look for you.
See you on the 20th!!!
Here's my question - what's the best thing for me to do to get from Heathrow to Bedford? The instructions from the nationalrail website makes it sound like I'll have to do lots of changes. My flight lands at 5:30 on Friday morning (you know, they don't have flights from Nairobi to London every half hour...). So my original plan was to work my way through the rail system, get to Bedford and take a nap since I don't have any place to store my luggage.
Will that be during rush hour?
I know a couple of people are meeting up and taking the train together. I wish I could do that, but I won't have a cell phone and no way to contact anyone if something comes up. That's why I'm hesitant to buy my train ticket in advance.
Help me, Obi-wan!
Your result for The Which Lolcat Are You? Test...
Sad Cookie Cat
64% Affectionate, 45% Excitable, 53% Hungry
To see all possible results, checka dis.
Your result for Are You a Jackie or a Marilyn? Or Someone Else? Mad Men-era Female Icon Quiz...
You Are a Bette!
You are a Bette -- "I must be strong"
Bettes are direct, self-reliant, self-confident, and protective.
How to Get Along with Me
- * Stand up for yourself... and me.
- * Be confident, strong, and direct.
- * Don't gossip about me or betray my trust.
- * Be vulnerable and share your feelings. See and acknowledge my tender, vulnerable side.
- * Give me space to be alone.
- * Acknowledge the contributions I make, but don't flatter me.
- * I often speak in an assertive way. Don't automatically assume it's a personal attack.
- * When I scream, curse, and stomp around, try to remember that's just the way I am.
What I Like About Being a Bette
- * being independent and self-reliant
- * being able to take charge and meet challenges head on
- * being courageous, straightforward, and honest
- * getting all the enjoyment I can out of life
- * supporting, empowering, and protecting those close to me
- * upholding just causes
What's Hard About Being a Bette
- * overwhelming people with my bluntness; scaring them away when I don't intend to
- * being restless and impatient with others' incompetence
- * sticking my neck out for people and receiving no appreciation for it
- * never forgetting injuries or injustices
- * putting too much pressure on myself
- * getting high blood pressure when people don't obey the rules or when things don't go right
Bettes as Children Often
- * are independent; have an inner strength and a fighting spirit
- * are sometimes loners
- * seize control so they won't be controlled
- * figure out others' weaknesses
- * attack verbally or physically when provoked
- * take charge in the family because they perceive themselves as the strongest, or grow up in difficult or abusive surroundings
Bettes as Parents
- * are often loyal, caring, involved, and devoted
- * are sometimes overprotective
- * can be demanding, controlling, and rigid
1. Each player starts with 8 random facts/habits about themselves.
2. People who are tagged write a blog post about their own 8 random things, and post these rules.
3. At the end of your post you need to tag 8 people.
1. Before I'd ever heard the terms fandom or fanfiction, I collected every Star Trek TOS novel written. Every one of them. I still have a few.
2. I was a whumper from childhood, long before I'd ever heard the term. Starbuck in BSG TOS, AJ in Simon and Simon, Han Solo, Kirk....
3. In the past few years, I've attended concerts of all my favorite bands from my teenage years - Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Duran Duran, Journey. (Am I dating myself?)
4. Well, since I am dating myself, I turn 38 on Friday.
5. I have 2 cats - Sabrina and Mayla. They are grey tabbys (unrelated) who look alike but are complete opposites in personality. Sabrina is afraid of nothing. She runs to the door when the doorbell rings to greet whomever is coming by to see her and will promptly crawl in your lap. Mayla is scared of everything (except me and Sabrina mostly). Most people who visit don't believe I have 2 cats until I show pictures. They are highly entertaining.
6. I would rather travel than do almost anything else. I could never buy another pair of shoes and be happy, but to not vacation would kill me. One goal in life is to visit all 50 states in the US. I've been to about 30. NYC is my favorite, but I love California almost as well. I've seen London, Paris, Prague, Athens, the Bahamas, Mexico, and Canada. Lots more still to see.
7. I am extremely conservative. While I don't go by a political party label, I've never voted for anyone who isn't a Republican.
8. I do have a lot of labels - American, Texan, accountant, friend, daughter, sister. But the one that defines me, the one most important to me and that one I'd want you to remember, is I'm a Christian.
Now, rather than tag individually (since I'd leave out someone), if you've read this, consider yourself tagged. Post your 8 in your LJ. Tell me about you.
I don't usually put much about myself on my LJ. I thought I might share a little today. I'm an accountant who lives in Texas. I love to travel. LOVE it. In fact, if you could see the ornaments on my tree, you would notice that many of them are from places I've been. Others are your various Christmas themed ones: Santa, angels, reindeer, etc. But the most important ones reflect the reason for this season.
Most of what you read on my LJ has to do with my favorite show - Stargate Atlantis. I love playing in that fictional universe with very fun characters. There's something so satisfying about creating a story. However, the story I want to tell today is true. It's about a Baby and a manger.
|Which Stargate Atlantis character are you most like? |
Your Result: Lt. Col. John Sheppard
Spunky, witty, brave, and surprisingly intelligent--these are all adjectives that describe John Sheppard. By being similar in personality to him, it means that you can do pretty much anything you set your mind to. You love adventure, and you know how to make people laugh.
|Dr. Rodney McKay|
|Dr. Radek Zelenka|
|Dr. Carson Beckett|
|Dr. Elizabeth Weir|
|Which Stargate Atlantis character are you most like?|
Take More Quizzes
Rules are easy, just post 10 things that recently made you happy! Tag 10 people and force them to post this meme on their LJs.
In no particular order:
1. SGA's S4 started with a bang with Adrift. It was awesome!
2. The SGA novels that I ordered have been shipped.
3. It's Friday. That always makes me happy.
4. I'm getting my hair cut tomorrow.
5. The WIP I am currently writing is the most well-received piece I've written.
6. My brother started his new job yesterday.
7. My Dallas Cowboys are 3-0.
8. Only 3 weeks until Dopplegangers airs on SGA.
9. My finances are finally shaping up.
10. Sometimes I love living alone. Today is one of those days.
No tags. I guess #11 would be "I love to break the rules, and I'm doing so right now." If you want to complete the meme, go for it.
I read a story today in which the character made an statement that was totally in character yet completely opposite of my beliefs. I have no idea what the author's personal beliefs are which is what prompts the question: Do you have to consciously put aside your own personal viewpoint/beliefs when writing? Or does the character's voice reside so strongly that you automatically write from their viewpoint without having to separate their beliefs from yours?
Career Choosing Meme
1. Go to http://www.careercruising.com.
2. Put in Username: nycareers, Password: landmark.
3. Take their "Career Matchmaker" questions.
4. Post the top ten results
1. Special Effects Technician
5. Casting Director
9. Set Designer
10. Film and TV Crew
OK, I'm laughing. I'm an accountant. I'm really in the wrong job according to this. Magician?
Snurched from sheppyd
|You scored as Millennium Falcon (Star Wars), The world around you is at war. Fortunately you know how to handle that with the greatest of ease. You are one of the best at what you do and no one needs to tell you that. Now if only the droids could be quiet for five seconds.|
Which sci-fi crew would you best fit in with? (pics)
created with QuizFarm.com
Gen. Jack O'Neill
Which Sci-Fi Hero Are You?
created with QuizFarm.com
|You scored as The Wraith, You are a Wraith, an evil humanoid that feeds on human life, sucking the years right out of their body and aging them instantly|
Which Sci-Fi villain are you??
created with QuizFarm.com
You are Superman
|You are mild-mannered, good, |
strong and you love to help others.
Click here to take the "Which Superhero are you?" quiz...
I prefer cats. Nothing against dogs. I like them. Really. I think it's more a lifestyle thing. I live alone (maybe I should get a dog...), and I have a long commute. A dog needs regular walks and potty-breaks, and I don't have the time to do so. I live in Texas which means excruciating heat in the summer (too hot to leave an animal outside in my opinion).
So, I have cats. Two to be exact. Most of the time they play with each other instead of destroying my house.
This is Sabrina.
She is a wild woman. Never met a stranger and completely unafraid of anything. She loves to sit in your lap and be petted, but don't pick her up.
This is Mayla.
She is scared of everything. She also likes to sit in my lap and be petted. She even likes to be held. She does not like strangers. Most people don't believe I have 2 cats since they never see Mayla. They are not related. How to tell the difference? Mayla has a white nose.
So, cats or dogs?